Sunday, February 20, 2011

Poem for a Hurting World

Try To Praise The Mutilated World


Published on the back page of The New Yorker shortly after the terrorist attacks on September 11,2001, "Try To Praise the Mutilated World" should be put in a time capsule. Not only was its message needed in the days and weeks following the attacks, it will resonate with readers as long as they are living in a damaged world. We all struggle with darkness, but Zagajewski pushes us not to forget all that is beautiful. The poem is not over-indulgent It contains only a few simple yet powerful images that are enough to carry the reader another day.

3 comments:

  1. I appreciate you saying that the poem is not over-indulgent. I feel that oftentimes people are too hesitant to acknowledge that that is good in the world. Especially when times are at their worst people seem to think it's best to be somber and focus on the ailments at hand, but Zagajewski's work definitely is a call for appreciation of what is still good. I think the poem benefits from the relative simplicity of Zagajewski's writing. He doesn't cloud his message with complex style and intricate meanings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. +1 on the time capsule idea... this poem was my favorite of the 9/11 selections, and I think for me that's largely based on the power and beauty in its simplistic images. I agree with your prediction that this poem has staying power... it's a haunting poem to say the least, and was on my mind for a long time after I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem is definitely relevant in response to many types of conflict: past , present, and future. I think poems like this one need to be held onto tightly and reflected on often to contemplate and respond to incidences like 9/11.

    ReplyDelete