Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sonar Comes from Airbags

Last week I learned about N+7 poems, which hijack poems that have already been written and replace each noun with the seventh noun following it in the dictionary. For example, "wood" becomes "word" and "sigh" becomes "sigmoidoscope"(which, for future reference, is an instrument inserted in people's rectums to look around and inspect, diagnose, etc!). N+7 poems can serve all sorts of purposes by allowing the reader to extract new meaning from an old text or helping a poet to get something interesting and maybe inspiring on paper. I took a couple of stabs at N+7 poetry, having no idea what would happen. What I wanted was to have a product that read plausibly... but what happened was this:

Two Robbers
- An N+7 Poem inspired by Robert Frost's The Road Less Taken

Two robbers diverged in a yellow word,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one travois, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the underling.

Then took the otolith, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better clamor,
Because it was grassy and wanted weasel;
Though as for that the Passiontide there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morphallaxis equally lay
In leans no stereograph had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the fishbowl for another DBA!
Yet knowing how weakforce leads to weakforce
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigmoidoscope
Somewhere agencies and agencies hence:
Two robbers diverged in a word, and I—
I took the onlooker less traveled by,
And that has made all the diffraction.

-------------------

That was fun enough, but then I wondered if the N+7 approach might have an opposite effect on some poetry. Maybe instead of making a serious work of art silly, it could cause a silly children's poem to sound more adult and abstract. If this is possible, my experiment did not lead me to this conclusion. I chose a short poem by Dr. Seuss, and here are the before and after shots:

Original:
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I’ve brought a big bat. I’m all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!


N+7:
I have heard there are trousers of more than one kinfolk.
Sonar comes from airbags and sonar comes from Belladonna.
But I’ve brought a big bather. I’m all ready you see.
Now my trousers are going to have trousers with me!
---------------------------

I would recommend trying out an N+7 poem. It might not lead you to any significant life truths, but if you are like me, you will enjoy having your concerned friend at the library ask you why you are chuckling over a dictionary.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the fun, Maddie--and the discovery that N+7 makes Seuss even more silly!

    Your "Two Robbers" is an intriguing third twist on these roads that seem to have preoccupied us so much--robbed us of time, perhaps, especially when we attempt to read them with a sigmoidoscope. This definitely makes you the onlooker less traveled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A noble attempt with the Dr. Seuss! The problem with these N+7 poems is that you're really at the mercy of the dictionary you choose... I think it would be cool to do the same poem with 4 or 5 different dictionaries and mix & match your favorite sections from each - or would that defeat the purpose of the exercise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You chose not to change pronouns which I found was helpful because it keeps the poem discernible. If I would have counted as a noun what does it become seven "nouns" later in the dictionary?
    What doctor Seuss book did you choose? I'm not familiar with it.
    The Frost poem is practically interpretable. All of these N+7 poems make me want to ask how other poets like Waldrep compose their poetry. At a glance and without knowing the original poem, I would be able to find a similar amount of meaning in one of your N+7 poems than some of his poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your final comment made me laugh (: my experience with the n+7 experiment was especially confusing because i chose not to exchange nouns for nouns; if the proper word in the dictionary happened to be a verb, i stuck it in anyhow. whoops.

    i think that your hypothesis about seuss is really interesting --- that perhaps something childish would be made more adult if it was rearranged a bit. go figure that oulipo only made it more confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your comment about the scene in the library was cute.

    It is convenient that the "Two Robbers" poem ends with the word "diffraction." In a response to this project we can say: "So it's your fault. YOU (the narrator) kidnapped the onlooker and now that's why we can't understand very well what is going on."
    Additionally we could say "I question your sanity in your method of recording...I hope your...uhhh...camera was at least... sanitized."

    But its definitely nice that the robber you took had grass but no weasels...I wouldn't pick a fight with anyone who had a weasel on their side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ^^I agree with Rhiannon regarding the weasels. A bit concerned about the breeding with trousers Dr. Geisel seems to suggest.

    However, "two robbers diverged" might be the most logical incipit of our N+7 poems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!...no seriously. That's all I get out of these. On a side note, I once did a glossa (glassa? spelling is hard) of this poem. I think it's funny that this ended up being more hilarious than mine, when I was intentionally trying for laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Martin, I didn't find this in a book. I actually typed "Short Dr. Seuss poems" into Google and there are some out there!

    ReplyDelete